Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Dreary Day = Comfort Soup

It's yet another day of rain, wind and an all around dreary, dark weather. A day like this calls for some warm soup. This soup is also great for another reason. This is a slow cooker soup, so while you're dealing with your day-to-day chores, dinner cooks for you. When as a Mommy, your time is very, VERY limited (no matter how chic you may be), this is a must!

This recipe comes to you from Back For Seconds blog. All it takes is just about 10 minutes of hands on time and the rest is taken care of by the slow cooker. The recipe calls for celery, not only did I not have celery on hand but while at the store, I consciously chose not to get it. I know, not a healthy choice, but I am just not a fan of celery. I used long grain brown rice (rice wasn't specified in the recipe).

The note in the recipe says that the soup should cook in the slow cooker for 8 hours on low, but that newer slow cookers may cook faster. I decided to cook the soup on high for half the time. Need this soup to be ready for dinner, and I started late. Let's see what my little, $20 slow cooker can do. If it sounds like the soup is in process as I am typing this, you are correct. However, it will be done before I press "publish".


This is my version of the soup...


Sans the celery, the soup still turned out to be pretty tasty. Even my toddler, who claimed that he doesn't like corn, finished his entire bowl. Afterward, he proclaimed that the soup was yummy. That's a win in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment