Monday, December 15, 2014

So Many Books, So Little Time

In today's day and age, there is an abundance of information out there. As hubby likes to say, between the immense amount of articles, interesting shows and fascinating books, "there isn't enough time to consume all the media".

There are plenty of books on my Good Reads list. Some of them suck me right in, while others, leave more to be desired. When I do come across a good book, I can't wait to get through all the errands and necessary chores, to get back to reading it. I am often asked where, and how, I find the time to read. Well, the answer is, with modern technology, finding time to read has never been easier. Books today come in different formats, which work for a lot of different lifestyles. You can read the traditional printed books. Kindle, and other electronic readers and apps, offer a multitude of books right at your finger tips, which don't require any storage space. Lastly, there are audio books. These are perfect for the long commutes, especially, when one needs to focus on the road.

Currently, I am reading two different books, both of which, happen to be set in roughly the same place and time. How, you ask, do I have time for one, not to mention two at the same time? One is the Bronze Horseman Trilogy, by Paullina Simons. I finished the first of the three books, and am on the second book, Tatiana and Alexander. The first book of the trilogy is set in former Leningrad at the beginning of World War II. It's a romance and historical fiction novel. I very much enjoyed this book and am enjoying the second book as well. For me, the draw is the historical aspects, less so, the romance. I've always been fascinated with that time period.

The other book is called City of Thieves, by David Benioff. I borrowed this book from the local library in the audio book format. Ah, the wonders of modern technology. I can listen to it while driving in the car or taking the baby out for a walk in the stroller. With audio books, good narration is everything. It will make or break your experience. City of Thieves is also set in former Leningrad as WWII breaks out. The book follows two young men who are given a chance to save their own lives in return for securing a dozen eggs for a colonel, to be used in his daughter's wedding cake.

I'll follow up on the remaining books from the Bronze Horseman Trilogy, as well as what's to come next.

No comments:

Post a Comment