Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Maximize Your Baby Registry with Minimal Stuff

I took a bit of a hiatus from the blog. I'd like to say that it was to reflect and revitalize but the reality is, I was just trying to survive. Being a mother of two doesn't make things twice as hard but it certainly makes the balancing act that much harder to balance. I'd like to think that my return to the blog is a sign that I am able to keep all the proverbial balls in the air (most of the time at least).

After one child, my perspective and expectations were quite different, not to mention easier to manage, with baby #2 on the way. Now a mother of two for over a year, I'd like to think that I've become a little wiser and a lot more open to going with the flow. As all mothers know, when kids are in the mix, nothing ever works out as planned.

I struggled somewhat with the direction that I wanted to take this blog, this outlet. Over the last year, there was another waive of pregnancies in my circle and a few first-time expectant mothers reached out with questions regarding various aspects of life with children. After answering similar questions from various mothers-to-be, I realized that this is the perfect way to share what I've learned so far along my  short journey as a parent with those that are coming up behind me. With that, let's jump in with both feet and start at the beginning.

The question that is at the top of most first-time expectant mothers' minds, after they've survived the harrowing first trimester and are safely on their way to the remainder of their pregnancy, is..."what do I put on my registry?"

When I was pregnant with my first son, I received a very good piece of advice in regards to my registry, "keep stuff to a minimum". The baby industry is booming, kids come with an overwhelming amount of "stuff". It makes me wonder how the kids of my generation (from the old country) survived without some of the things that are currently available. With this being said, I've answered the baby registry question a number of times and wanted to summarize what, in my humble opinion, are needed items, so that the new mother has all the necessary tools, without that feeling of drowning in stuff. Everything is a personal preference of course, but if you're overwhelmed by the available options, here are a few pointers to keep you on track.

  • Opt for a pack'n playinstead of a bassinet. After the first initial months of your infant sleeping in your room, this can be used as a travel bed on those future family vacations.
  • A wipe warmermay sound bourgeois but your baby will thank you for not applying ice cold wipes to their touche.
  • When picking an infant car seat, opt out for the lightest possible one.
  • To make it easier to lug the baby around in that infant car seat, I suggest getting a stroller that's car seat adaptable. Just as everything else, there are many stroller options. My trusted strollerlasted me through both children. The second time around, I opted for a car seat adapterto make things easier.
  • Aden + Anais swaddle blanketswere everything I never knew, I always wanted. These are so soft and large enough to easily swaddle the baby.
  • I would also recommend getting a few of the easy swaddlers. These were a life saver.
  • I personally opted out of getting a diaper geniebut that's a personal decision.
  • I would also suggest waiting until the baby is born to choose your preferred diaper brand. Hospitals tend to provide enough for the first day or two. You never know what size you'll need.
  • The baby bathrobeis a complete waste but those hooded towelswill come in very handy.
These are a few of my tips to get you going on your baby registry adventures. For those that have been down this road, I would love to hear your feedback on what has worked (or not) for you. Looking forward to seeing your suggestions and feedback in the comments below.

Until next time...


No comments:

Post a Comment