Thursday, December 18, 2014

School Lunches Series-Part II

As promised, I am sharing some more details about the preschool lunches I pack for my big, little guy.

On a daily basis,  I wake up and throw together a meal for my child to eat at preschool. Initially, this task gave me a great deal of anxiety. My child was used to home cooked meals three times a day, plus two snacks. I wanted to make sure that the shock of going to a new school was minimized as much as possible. Three, short months later, this task became pretty routine.

Every day, I include veggies, fruits and a "main dish". Snacks are provided by the preschool, so at least I get a break there. Below is the breakdown of my son's lunchbox with an actual lunch included.

The actual lunch box contains a box inside it. Within the box there is a tray. I would assume that this tray is meant for a standard-sized sandwich (I call it the second floor). I bought some square silicone cupcake liners to help with organizing the food. I tried different variations of packing, but ended up with the following. Veggies on top (usually includes tomatoes and cucumber slices).


Fruit on the bottom floor. It's winter season, so persimmons and mandarines are the fruit of choice. Often enough, my son asks for a banana. The banana goes into the main lunchbox, (as shown below).


In this scenario, the main meal is wrapped in foil to preserve warmth. This time it's a "burrito". This includes a meat, such as left-over chicken from previous night's dinner, as well as cheese (whatever is available in the fridge, usually havarti). To complete the entire ensemble, I add a napkin and a separate bottle of water (not shown here).


Stay tuned for more quick, healthy, warm and hearty lunch food ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment