Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Happy Hanukkah!...From New York to Santa Monica

A bit of a cheesy title but I found it catchy after reading "The Night Before Hanukkah" to my son. This is the first year that my older son is aware of holidays. Since preschool heavily focuses on Christmas, I wanted to make sure my son has at least a basic understanding of his background. For this reason I decided to make it at least a little bit traditional. No praying involved here. But some yummy food is a must, and maybe a lighting of a couple candles too.



I made a brisket for the first time! Mom threw in her house for dinner and, some latkes, deviled eggs and eggplant dishes. This is from a woman that has a full-time job. I also contributed rogaliki for dessert.

The brisket recipe I used is quite simple actually. It involves using the slow cooker. With this hands-off approach, it makes the cooking process much easier. Especially when a 4-month old is in the mix. The recipe comes via Food & Wine magazine's website. Due to lack of time, I cooked the meat on high for 5 hours instead of on low for 8. I also didn't add the last 1.5 tablespoons of red wine vinegar to the sauce at the end. The meat still turned out great.



I don't know what Mom's recipes are for deviled eggs and latkes, but I'll share some of my. I've shared these recipes before on my old blog, so I'll just re-share (no need to reinvent the wheel).

Deviled Eggs...

Recipe

Boil eggs (number of eggs depends on how many you need).
Mayonnaise (I usually just eye ball it. But about 1 tablespoon should do)
Dijon mustard (also eye ball it)

Peel boiled eggs, cut in half lengthwise. Carefully remove the yolks from the whites, keeping the whites in tact. Place the yolks in a mixing bowl, and whites on a serving plate. Add mayonnaise and Dijon mustard to the yolks and mix with a fork until smooth.

Spoon the mixture into a piping (pastry) bag and pipe into egg whites. Don’t worry if there is no piping bag around, you can also spoon the mixture into the egg whites. Sprinkle with dried dill weed, and they are ready to eat.

Latkes...

Latkes

This recipe comes to you via Epicurious. With a KitchenAid shredder/slicer attachment this recipe takes no time at all.

For dessert...

Rogaliki...

Rogaliki_1

Recipe:

For the dough you’ll need the following:
3 egg yolks
1 stick of margerine
100 grams of sour cream
Flour (as much as needed to get the dough consistency)
Raspberry preserves (for the filling)

Mix the egg yolks, margerine and sour cream with flour until the mixture has dough consistency. Separate the dough into 3 or 4 balls and refrigerate for about 3 hours or over night. Roll out the dough into a thin circle (using additional flour, to prevent the dough from sticking). Cut the dough into 16 triangles. Place a small amount of raspberry preserves onto the wide side of the triangle and roll away from you to create rogaliki. Repeat with the rest of the dough balls. Place rogaliki on a cookie sheet sprayed with cooking spray and bake for about 15 minutes at 375 Degrees Fahrenheit.

Once rogaliki are out of the oven, sprinkle them with powdered sugar and serve once they cool off.

Next year I will attempt sufganiyot (a.k.a. jelly doughnuts). Who doesn't like some good old deep-fried dough?

Happy Hanukkah!

No comments:

Post a Comment