Monday, December 8, 2014

School Lunches Series-Part I

Another start to the week, time to put together lunch for preschool. (So far, thankfully, only one.) Ever since my oldest received a Thomas the Train lunch box for his second birthday, I was really excited to put it to use. That is of course, until the time came when I actually needed to put it to use. Up until a few months ago, his lunches, breakfasts and snacks were taken care of by his daycare during the work week (no lunch box needed). Obviously, a huge load off my mind. But with preschool, came home-made lunches.

Months before preschool even started, I was anxiously researching lunch packing options. Optimal foods to use for his lunches, as lunches aren't heated or refrigerated by the school. What do you pack for a kid who is used to eating a nice, warm, home-made soup for lunch, on an almost daily basis? To say that I felt anxious is to say nothing at all. I googled and researched, and came across some great ideas (e.g. Momabeles blog). When the time came, I was ready. The first lunch, which consisted of a chicken quesadilla, tomatoes, cucumbers and fruits was a hit. From there, things became easier. I developed a sort of system of lunch packing, based on the layout of our lunch box. 
Quesadillas, or really any meat wrapped in a tortilla with cheese (and warmed up), is the easiest. Pigs (always nitrate-free of course) in blankets are easy to pack. Warm options always go in a thermos. Since my child only eats cucumbers and tomatoes from the raw veggies category, he gets those everyday. Fruit options include two or three different options. During the winter season, lunch is heavy on mandarines, persimmons and apples. I have a whole pinterest board devoted to kids school lunches. However, often enough, lunch is dinner leftovers. Stay tuned for Part II, where I will display the Thomas the Train lunch box with an actual lunch.






No comments:

Post a Comment